Director, PPI Lean Business System
The BioPharma Services Division (BSD) of Thermo Fisher Scientific is focused on providing end to end clinical trial solutions for our customers. We don't specialize in any particular therapy - we support them all. Our customers range from small biotech/pharmaceutical startups to large pharmaceutical companies who focus on R&D and prefer to outsource supporting services for the execution of clinical trials across the globe. We have the industry's largest global footprint of FDA cGMP facilities and regional hubs strategically located around the globe so we can be where our customers need us - we provide the full suite of services in each of those hubs so that we can get the right medication to the right patient on time.
Responsible for the implementation of the Practical Process Improvement (PPI) Business System in Biopharma Services (BSD). Work closely with business leadership and PPI steering committees to establish and mature strategy deployment, KPI Leadership, Lean Management System (tiered daily management systems, Gemba walks, and leader standard work) and other coaching tools to facilitate cultural transformation.
- Manage and develop the site PPI Business System leaders as they deploy the business system to their local teams, driving best practice sharing, consistency and standardization that adds value across the business.
- Lead/work with functional teams to streamline processes to improve the customer experience, enable profitable growth and become more efficient.
- Coach and develop functional team leaders to leverage the business system to sustain and build on improved performance.
- Diplomatically cultivate an action-biased culture of continuous improvement to engage all employees in improvement of KPIs, in the areas of customer, finance, people and quality.
- Role model leadership through the business system through ownership of the BSD productivity metric and reporting in partnership with finance.
- Liaise with the Corporate PPI Business System Network including leaders in other company divisions to continuously improve our application of the business system, methodologies and related tools.
- Provide support to develop lean expertise and capability within the organization at all levels.
- Improve the decision-making model and problem solving capabilities within high performance teams to increase autonomy and the pace of change.
- A Lean Expert with 5+ years experience and a ‘hands-on' track record of implementing successful TPS-based business systems including elements such as:
- Lean Leadership (Daily Management, Leader Standard Work, and Gemba Walks)
- Strategy Deployment and Value-stream mapping
- Kaizen events on standard work, cell design, process and product 3P, Value-Analysis/Value Engineering, error-proofing, material flow, Heijunka, and Kanban.
- Expertise in problem-solving utilizing a formal program/process
- Solid history of people leadership experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to connect with and positively influence leadership and all levels of the organization
- A holistic thinker who can look enterprise-wide to integrate and streamline systems for optimal benefit.
- Able to drive strategic thinking and continuous improvement in both non-operational and operational areas, including connecting the cross-functional resources to remove waste along the extended value streams.
- Passion for driving improvement and leading change in a complex, global environment.
- Proven track record for developing, training, and coaching teams.
- Great communicator, including solid written, oral and presentation-giving skills.
- Broad knowledge of multi-functional, multi-site, global organizational processes and financial business methods.
- High ethical standards to support a professional business code of conduct.
- Experience working in a GMP environment is a plus
- Able to travel domestically ~50% and internationally as needed.
- Bachelors degree in engineering, science, operations or business
- 10+ years of operational, leadership, or professional experience.
- Proven track record of identifying and delivering year-over-year results using metric-driven problem solving.
- Self-directed leader with a proven ability to manage/influence across and up into the organization without direct reporting responsibility.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.