Senior Manager, Organic Chemistry R&D
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Sr. Manager R&D, Organic Chemistry will work with the Chemistry R&D Sr. Director and relevant Product Management personnel to set the departmental technical strategy and to review, define, prioritize, and execute the Chemistry R&D project portfolio.
- Designs, performs, and reviews chemistry and bioorganic chemistry research and development programs of increasing number, complexity, and/or diversity.
- Provides technical and management guidance and prioritization for the organic chemistry group.
- Works closely with R&D Managers and Technical Leaders to implement plans.
- Gives effective scientific, financial, and business presentations internally and externally.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of relevant chemical and biology fields and techniques.
- Advises senior management on complex technology issues and on optimizing business practices & direction.
- Attends scientific/management conferences and represents company/division through talks, tutorials, publications, and patents.
- Supports other departments such as manufacturing, technical service and quality by providing scientific guidance.
- Contributes well-considered ideas for new products and identifies new technologies of significant value to the company/division.
- Prioritizes projects and resources for new technologies for sustained growth.
- Builds business/technical case analyses with Product Management. Makes proposals with company/divisional scope to management.
- Represents the Company externally to commercial and academic partners.
- Represents the R&D department to other sites and divisions for cross-site collaborations, projects and implementation of cross-unit endeavors.
- Evaluates the schedule, scope, cost, and risks associated with research and development programs.
- Reads papers and business/market reports in depth in relevant scientific areas, and continually builds expertise.
- Advises on recent developments in the scientific community and amongst competitors.
- Maintains an accurate and detailed lab notebook and personnel records.
- Uses word processing, graphing, presentation and spreadsheet programs effectively.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills through formal and informal discussions with peers, team, colleagues, supervisor, and upper management.
- Serves as primary author of scientific publications (posters/papers) and presents at scientific conferences and external customer sites.
- Mentors and manages group effectively.
- Displays leadership across company and division.
- Effectively uses the project management and company systems.
- Multitasks and leads multiple projects and evaluations.
- Utilizes external network of researchers in areas of interest to company.
- Works with R&D Director to establish the departmental budget.
- Recommends improvements to departmental, site, and corporate practices and processes.
- Supervises 5-15 direct reports at Research Associate to Sr. Scientist level.
- Ph.D. in organic or bio organic chemistry with 5+ years of experience.
- Masters of Science with 10+ years of experience.
- Requires in depth knowledge of design and synthesis of organic compounds and materials, chromatographic and spectroscopic analysis, and documentation of results and procedures.
- Knowledge of chemical biology, protein science, and general cell biology.
- Knowledge of OSHA Lab Safety procedures and Universal Precaution techniques.
- Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.