Sr./Principal Research Associate, Process Development
The CMC Process Development group is seeking a Sr./Pr. Research Associate for a position based in Cambridge, MA. The individual in this role will be skilled in nucleic acid and protein biochemistry, enzymology, biochemical separations, and high-throughput automation. The candidate will focus on characterizing the process enzymes and optimizing enzymatic reactions in the context of mRNA process development. He/she will interact with biochemistry, preclinical production, analytical development, and GMP manufacturing teams to align on strategies for mRNA synthesis and their implementation into the mRNA manufacturing process. The candidate will design and execute experiments using high throughput automation and analytical techniques. The candidate must have a BS with 3-5 years of industry experience, or MS with 1-3 years of industry experience.
- Perform high-throughput screening of mRNA synthesis reactions using Tecan liquid-handling platform
- Develop robust and scalable mRNA synthesis and purification processes
- Optimize enzymatic reactions to improve robustness, cycle time, yield, and cost while maintaining product quality
- Troubleshoot hard to synthesize RNA constructs and devise process solutions to enable manufacturing
- Transfer novel process solutions into GLP manufacturing
- Perform routine biochemical testing of the process enzymes by SDS PAGE, CE, and ELISA
- Perform kinetic analysis of RNA synthesis
- Maintain good records, communicate findings, and write reports and tech transfer documents
- BS with 3-5 years of industry experience, or MS with 1-3 years of industry experience
- Background in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, chemical engineering, or related discipline
- Experience with programming and operating of liquid handling robotic systems (Tecan)
- Practical knowledge of enzyme kinetics and protein characterization methods
- Experience in performing analytical, molecular, biochemical and/or biophysical assays
- Familiarity with nucleic acid and protein separation methods
- Hands on experience with analytical instrumentation
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to work independently and effectively in a highly dynamic environment
- Excellent clinical judgment and ability to communicate complex clinical issues in a scientifically sound and understandable way.
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.