Assistant and Associate Professors, Aga Khan University- Centre for Regenerative Medicine
The Aga Khan University (AKU) is partnering with the University of California, San Francisco’s Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research – a globally well-known centre for regenerative medicine and stem cell research – to set up the University’s Centre for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research.
The Centre for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research (CRMSCR), with planned state-of-the-art facilities that can house 100+ scientists and staff, will undertake cutting edge research on stem cell and regenerative medicine on non-communicable diseases prevalent in the developing world; nurture the next generation of researchers and clinicians; and create a multidisciplinary collaborative environment that encourages innovation.
CRMSCR is inviting applications from outstanding and ambitious candidates with a track record in regenerative medicine and stem cell science.
Applications from researchers who are conducting innovative research in the broad areas of developmental or stem cell biology, listed below, will also be considered:
- Stem cells in development and disease
- Stem cells in fate determination and differentiation
- Stem cell niche
- Reprogramming and differentiation
- Endogenous regeneration
- Stem cells genomics and epigenomics
- Scaffolds and 3D bio-printing
Faculty and students, as part of the AKU and University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) collaboration, will spend periods of time at UCSF.
The successful candidates will receive a competitive start up package and the opportunity to work in a young and dynamic environment that meets international standards.
Associate Professors and Assistant Professors will provide services in the areas of research, education and scholarship, funding applications, health and safety, ethics and other duties. Professors will be reporting to the Director, CRM.
- expand his/her current area of research in regenerative medicine and stem cell biology
- work in a team of researchers including post-docs, clinical fellows and PhD students
- develop and submit extramural grant proposals
- develop and foster multi-disciplinary collaboration with faculty from across AKU and UCSF
- engage and assist in developing specific modules/courses for graduate students in stem cell biology and regenerative medicine
- oversee and manage his or her team, managing research, ensuring thesis development and publications, procuring funding and budget availability, and maintaining compliance to laboratory and ethical protocols
- create regular progress reports and present to the Director CRM and UCSF at periodic intervals, including a quinquennial review to an international committee
- develop and foster a sustained scientific collaboration with colleagues at UCSF.
- have a PhD in the relevant subject area
- be research active
- have extensive first hand laboratory experience
- have experience of supervising graduate students, post-docs and fellows
- have published in journals of international repute
- have good communication skills and fluency in spoken and written English
Applicants for Associate Professor should have a track record of extra mural grant funding.
Selected candidates will be part of a multi-disciplinary team, which will collectively build critical capacity in stem cell biology and regenerative medicine. Applicants will be expected to develop collaborations with faculty across the different disciplines at AKU and UCSF.
An employment application must include the following documents in English:
- Bio-sketch form which can be downloaded at web address: https://www.aku.edu/careers/Documents/biographical%20sketch.pdf
- Cover letter
- A complete resume, including date of thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions held, current position, academic title, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications in peer reviewed indexed journals
- Summary of current work including a statement of goals for future independent research (no more than three pages)
- Names of three referees with email and postal addresses
Following an initial evaluation by the AKU-UCSF Search Committee, shortlisted candidates will be invited to visit the AKU Stadium Road campus in Karachi for a face-to-face interview, to discuss their research, make a presentation and meet with faculty, students and post-docs. Candidates that cannot travel will be interviewed online.
Applications should be submitted latest by June 30th, 2017.