Scientist, Toxicology & Pathology Sciences
Reporting to the Associate Director of Toxicology & Pathology Sciences, this person will help support Moderna's mRNA technology platform, therapeutics area ventures, and partners by developing and performing routine and specialized tissue-based assays and other molecular biology assays for target validation, biodistribution, and biomarker discovery. She/he will require extensive experience in immunohistochemistry (IHC), immunofluorescence (IF), and in-situ hybridization (ISH) assay development. The incumbent will need to demonstrate proactive and original thinking in execution of research tasks for multiple projects. The successful candidate will also need to interpret and analyze data, identify technical issues, recommend solutions, and communicate results to all levels of employees.
- Develop novel tissue-based staining methodologies to support platform efforts.
- Performs IHC, IF, and ISH staining on tissue sections and subsequent image acquisition and analysis.
- General laboratory work including reagent preparation and maintenance of the automated IHC autostainer.
- Record experimental results for research and development projects in electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Contribute to experimental design, planning, and execution of research projects.
- Exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Collaborate with project team members and peers to anticipate and resolve day-to-day issues working in a matrix organizational structure.
- MS with 3+ years relevant industry experience (or BS/MS with equivalent experience).
- Experience with using IHC/ISH staining systems (i.e. Leica and Ventana autostainers).
- Extensive knowledge related to microscopy, fluorescent microscopy, and whole slide scanners.
- Histopathology laboratory experience preferred including embedding, cutting, mounting, and staining tissue specimens.
- Familiar with drug discovery and development processes in investigative and regulatory toxicology.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.