Sr. Director Enterprise Architecture
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands - Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
In this role you will be charged with managing the overall IT architecture by maintaining a holistic, long term view of all systems and technology leading to more informed choices and decisions. This includes:
- Keeping an up to date view of the plans for changes in each major component and monitoring the life-cycle of technologies in order to advise on the appropriate time to introduce new versions and replacements.
- Conduct strategic planning activities for the information systems landscape, and communicate the outcomes in terms of future-state architectures, strategies and roadmaps. This will provide direction for the IT function, for business stakeholders and will lead to simplification of the systems landscapes
- Ensure that future-state architectures and roadmaps are complete, consistent and feasible
- Ensure IT programs and projects are aligned with the architecture and adhere to appropriate standards, to ensure all aspects of the technology landscape (e.g. applications, data, technology etc.) work together effectively and that project and operational costs are minimized.
- Provide expert IT consultancy and advice to IS and the business units to enable the correct choice and appropriate design of IT solutions.
- Lead the architecture function and the development of an effective team. This includes setting strategic direction and responsibility for people, budget, and outcomes.
- Promote architecture disciplines through the development of effective standards and governance processes. This will have the aim of maximizing the re-use of application systems and shared services, and reducing time and risks in project delivery
- Maintenance of relationships and influence with senior global colleagues in the Business and IT.
- Breadth and experience of IT design, development and technical knowledge.
- Influences business leaders and business process owners to maintain consistency with architecture roadmap for their area and overall IT architecture.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Highly technically competent with the ability to assimilate new technologies and identify where they can be applied to strategies, processes and organization to support Business objectives.
- Robust in enforcing architecture disciplines and standards and persuasive in pushing forward new and innovative technologies and methods.
- Ability to articulate complex solutions concisely and with clarity at senior management level.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and weigh different options and recommend a constructive solution.
- Ability to balance detailed understanding with a strategic eye on the big picture.
- Strong and effective communication skills and relationship building skills, at all levels.
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to map business vision to strategy.
- Good administration and time capabilities to deal with multiple projects and prioritize effectively.
- Significant experience in the applied use of IT in business situations including roles as an Enterprise Architect
- Senior level experience including advising, influencing and developing solution architectures in global organizations with complex heterogeneous IS environments
- Experience of developing target architectures and roadmaps which have been shown to set and influence IT and business direction
- Experience of identifying and selecting IT solutions to business problems including Commercial of the Shelf (COTS), SaaS and ERP applications
- Experience of solution definition, application architecture and systems integration.
- Experience in producing documentation and presentations for both senior business and technical audiences
- Experience of systems analysis, design and development with experience in a solution architect role an advantage
- Experience of managing complex or large IT projects either directly or indirectly through close involvement in the overall project leadership
- Experience of Architecture governance including chairing design authorities, setting and communicating IT standards, maintaining shared knowledge repositories etc.
- Experience of working in an international environment
- Supplier management experience including software vendors, cloud vendors and outsourced service providers
- Experience of Enterprise Architecture concepts and frameworks including TOGAF and Zachman or similar TOGAF certification or similar an advantage
- Familiarity with EA tools and repositories, and their usage for strategic level/EA level modelling and impact analysis
- Experience in Computer system validation as practiced in the pharmaceutical industry
- Familiarity with System Delivery Life Cycle (SDLC) frameworks and processes.
- Knowledge of IT Infrastructure library (ITIL) principles and practices.
- Experience with ERP, PLM, CRM business process/systems and cloud-based applications, data, security and integration architectures including data warehouse and business intelligence solutions, preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 15+ years of experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 12+ years of experience
- More than 5+ years’ experience in an IT leadership role managing Enterprise Architecture with strong understanding of technical, business and operational process requirements - i.e., quote to cash process (required)
- Deep technology knowledge in every aspect of IT
Life Sciences or Pharmaceutical experience, preferred.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.