Admission in Fellowship and M.Phil in Regenerative Medicine and Translation Sciences for 2016
Admission in Fellowship and M.Phil in Regenerative Medicine and Translation Sciences for 2016.
Notice for Fellowship and M.Phil admission to Regenerative Medicine and Translational Science, Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine, The West Bengal University of Health Sciences:
The Department of Regenerative Medicine and Translation Science, Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine under The West Bengal University of Health Sciences is among the few centres in the world focused on clinical applications of cell-based therapies.
Background and Rationale:
Regenerative Medicine (RM) is a branch of medical science which studies the replacement or regeneration of human cells, tissue and organs, to counter chronic diseases that debilitate organs and hence bodily function. It includes biomedical approaches to clinical therapies that may involve the use of stem cells by injection of stem cells or progenitor cells. It may also be done by inducing regeneration by biologically active molecules or by transplantation of in vitro grown organs and tissues through tissue engineering. Regenerative Medicine is an exciting new field that holds much promise for generating innovative therapies for a wide variety of diseases and disorders. Regenerative Medicine focuses on harnessing the body’s own repair mechanisms to replace or heal damaged tissues and organs. This field has the ability to touch every ailment, ranging from cancer to heart disease to nervous disorders. This multidisciplinary field incorporates stem cell biology, tissue engineering, biomaterials engineering, and transplantation science. In addition, it also includes various enabling technologies and clinical application areas, with the ultimate goal of improving patient lives.
The course objectives are:
- To spread knowledge about this newly emerging field of modern medicine and cell therapy as this holds immense potentialities for future clinical and experimental therapies.
- To explain the principles and clinical applications of stem cell therapy for regenerative purposes.
- To promote a theoretical and practical knowledge on the subject.
- To teach stem cell biology and the application of technologies therein.
- To develop research and analytical skills.
- To promote independent/group original research and project work.
Course Coordinator and Head of the Department:
Prof. (Dr).Niranjan Bhattacharya, D.Sc, MD, MS, FACS, FICS, FICOG, FSOG (Department of Regenerative Medicine and Translational Science, Stem Cell and Progenitor Cell Research).
Global stalwarts in the field of Regenerative Medicine who were involved in formulation, instruction and execution of the previous edition of the course included:
1. Prof. Elaine Gluckman, Emeritus Prof University of Paris, France.
2. Prof David Harris, University of Arizona.
3. Prof. Ian McNiece, MD Anderson Hospital, University of Texas
4. Prof. Zygmunt Pojda , Curie Institute, Poland
5. Prof. Himansu Basu, Ex Vice President, RCOG, London, U.K
6.Prof. Phillip Stubblefield, Emeritus Prof University of Boston USA
7. Prof. S.Arulkumaran, Emeritus Prof University of London, U.K.
The course combines lectures, tutorials with hands-on experiments, demonstrations. The course joins together a unique group of renowned international experts with the aim of exchanging scientific knowledge on cells, biomaterials and strategies for tissue regeneration. Attendees will also have the opportunity to discuss ideas directly with the resource persons.
Academic assessment and evaluation of M.Phil and Fellowship courses:
1. Post-registration: Continuous assessment classroom (CR) Sessions 8 CR Modules 150 hrs/yr.The Regenerative Medicine and Translational Science Department has outstanding faculty members based at top tier level Universities in the world. Invited talks and lectures from foreign faculty professors round the year are an essential component of the learning methods and students are also expected to actively participate in such interactions.
2. Distance Learning (DL), No. of Sessions: 4. Distance Learning Sessions: 20 hrs
3. Clinical and pre-clinical rotation. Submission of Log Book.
4. Practicals: Hands-on practical in laboratory work pertaining to cell therapy and Clinical ward study.
5. Group Dynamics and Practical Sessions. Method: 4 Group Dynamics: 80 hrs.
6. Dissertation Work: Subjects are to be selected by the learner 150 hrs.
For M. Phil: Research proposal and work to be completed in 2 years eventually moving into a PhD Research work with appropriate funding. (If possible)
For Fellowship: Research proposal in the first year eventually moving into an M.Phil program for the subsequent years with the option of carrying previous research thesis during fellowship program in the next year.
7. Continuous and intensive assessment with annual theory and practical exams. To be completed in not more than 2 yrs, Internship Assignment (2 years).
Selection of Candidates for M.Phil and Fellowship are through a 3 stage performance evaluation:
Stage I: Candidates will appear for an entrance examination which will be a written test.
Stage II: Based on the performance in the theory test (stage I), candidates will be called for departmental assessment keeping in view the practical knowledge of the candidate, ability to attain the high academic level in the discipline and aptitude for research and teaching.
Stage III: Those candidates who secure 50% marks or above in theory plus departmental assessment will be finally interviewed by the selection committee under the chairmanship of HOD Regenerative Medicine and Translational Science.
Candidates, who fail to attend any of the three stages mentioned above or secure less than 50% aggregate marks in the above three-stage performance evaluation, will not be considered for admission.
Fellowship Eligibility criteria:
No. of seats: 100 (One hundred only)
Duration of Course: 1 year eventually leading to M.Phil on successful completion of the coursework.
Course year: 2016-2017
M.Phil Eligibility criteria:
No. of seats: 30 (Thirty only)
Duration of the course: 2 years.
Course year: 2016-2018
Eligible degree requirements (for M.Phil and Fellowship courses) :
MBBS, MD, BDS, MDS, M.Sc in any branch of Life Science /M Tech Biotechnology /BDS/B.VSc or equivalent degree and background; Students with Clinical Embryology and other paramedical courses and a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate are also eligible.
Fellowship: Rs.1,00,000/ only (Approx. 1518 US Dollar) which includes registration fee, tuition fee, distance learning (online) charges, examination fees, library fee, course kit for 1 year.
M.Phil: Rs.3,00,000/ only (Approx. 4600 US Dollar) which includes registration fee, tuition fee, distance learning (online) charges, examination fees, library fee, course kit for the entire duration of the M.Phil program.
Eligible international applicants will be interviewed through Skype.
Age: No upper age limit.
All students are requested to submit their full tuition fees at the time of admission to the School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkata.
All successful candidates are eligible for a competitive stipend/scholarship according to local standards amounting to 3, 58,200 Indian Rupees only annually. (Approximately 5168 USD per annum)
Stipend/Scholarship availability is purely competitive and is based on the performance of the candidates in the theory/oral examination.
Intending candidates who are eligible as per qualifications stated in the enclosed literature may apply within 06.12.2016, personally at the office of Controller of Examinations or send by speed post so as to reach by 06.12.2016 at the address of the University mention the name of course on the left-hand corner of the envelope, in plain paper with recent photograph and particulars pertaining to Registration (where it is applicable), permanent address, address for communication, Father’s name, email, cell number and copy of certificates passed (in case of MBBS/BDS 3rd Part – II / 4th (prof as applicable ) mark sheet) and a bank draft of Rs. 1000/- ( Rupees one thousand only) favouring “The West Bengal University of Health Sciences” payable at Kolkata for joining one-year full-time course mentioned above. Interested candidates can also visit the following websites for further information.
Tentative last date for submitting the application is 06-12-2016 either by the person or by post/speed post. The interview is on 09-12-2016 from 10 AM at The West Bengal University of Health Sciences. However, please keep checking the Kolkata School of Tropical Medicine and The West Bengal University of Health Sciences, exam website for an extension on the deadline or for the second round of interviews if any.
Also visit the below websites for further details about the application process, documents required for applying and more about the Department.