Principal Investigator at Guangzhou Women and Children's Medical Center, Sun Yat-Sen University
Guangzhou Women and Children’s Medical Center (GWCMC) is a non-profit medical center with a high reputation and excellence in pediatrics, especially in several major fields including heart surgery, gastroenterology, respiratory disease, hematology, immunological disease, endocrinology, interventional therapies, etc. The center is academically affiliated to Sun Yat SenUniversity and Guangzhou Medical University. With four campus and over 1500 beds, the Center had 3.9 million outpatient visits, 80,000 inpatient admissions, and over 18,000 birth deliveries in 2014. The center is one of the three biggest children’s hospitals in China, and is dedicating to be the area medical center for China southern 6 provinces, and a research-type medical center in children’s medicine. The center has a tradition in emphasizing clinical research, and owns the nation’s largest birth cohort study, the Born in Guangzhou Birth Cohort Study, and other sampling banks such as cord blood bank, and disease-based sampling bank.
Currently, we have already recruited 6 PI from USA, Australia, Germany, and England, and it is expected to host about 20-25 PIs within the coming 1 or 2 years. The structure of our research institute is similar to that in NIH of USA, i.e. each lab is led by a PI, and the team consists of PI, associate investigator, staff scientist, technician, research assistant, graduate student, and post-doctorial fellow. The Center will staff 4-5 members for each lab at a none-cost for PI. The Center provide strong internal fund and ecourage to apply for external fund.
The research fields of the institute are broad, while we are particularly focused on
- birth defect
- genome science
- genetic disease
- neuronal developmental disease
- stem cell biology and regeneration medicine
- infectious disease and immunology
- oncology and child cancer
- cardiovascular disease
- 3D printing in clinical medicine etc.
Responsibilities and Requirements
Conduct full-time research job in the subject area at GWCMC. Successful candidates must have obtained a PhD degree from an internationally renowned university. Competitive applicants should already have established their own research program as an independent investigator or have a productive post-doctorial training record including significant fund and publication with high an impact.
We are particularly interested in those who are qualified to compete for China central government’s Young 1000 talent plan (青千计划). People at a senior academic level, with remarkable achievements in their study field, or a high recognition from their peers are also encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
- Annual salary: for PI ranges from USD 78,250 to 120,000; for Co-I ranges from USD 50,100 to 75,000
- Research start-up: for PI ranges from USD 500,000 to 1,600,000; for Co-I ranges from 170,000 to 350,000
- Full hospital benefits and insurance
- Attractive relocation package or subsidized accommodation around campus for no more than 5 years from the date of start
- Free round-trip economy class air-tickets from successful candidate’s country of residence to Guangzhou up to 2 times a year during the period of employment.
- Supports in family member relocation, employment, and education.
- Offer research lab space with needed equipment, as well as talent support (including technical staff, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows).
- Attractive academic incentive award, granted under the GIP and GWCMC Academic Performance Incentive Plan
How to apply
Any question about these positions should be directed to Ms. Jingqi Zhang (+86 020 38076014, firstname.lastname@example.org). People who are interested in these positions please send application materials to Ms. Zhang via the same e-mail above or click the application button below, and should include
- A cover letter describing briefly your expertise and which filed you are interested in,
- Full curriculum vitae
- A brief description of training background, experience, achievement so far,and future research plan GWCMC and GIP are committed to equal opportunities.
About Guangzhou, China
Guangzhou is the third largest Chinese city and the largest city in South Central China. The city is the core area of the Pearl River Delta and adjacent to HK. Guangzhou is one of mainland China's leading commercial regions. In 2013, the GDP reached ¥1542 billion (US$248 billion). It’s also a hub of most renowned universities and research institutions in southern China. The Sun Yat-Sen Medical School, Guangzhou Medical University and Nanfang Medical University all ranks top in China’s Best Medical University Roll.
Founded in 214 BC, the city has been a springboard for trading, cultural exchanges, many revolutions and reforms, making it an unavoidable stopover to understand what shapes the modern China. Food is the centerpiece of life and Guangzhou has the country's largest number of restaurants per capita, which is the birthplace of what you call 'Chinese food' (Cantonese food) in the west. Cantonese cuisine is well-known for its blend of color, fragrance, taste and presentation, and it is ranked among the top four in the country.
To learn more about working & living in China, please visit: www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/country-profiles/china