Senior Research Associate
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
The Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology (CCMB) at the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC invites applications to fill a Senior Research Associate position to perform bioinformatic analyses, visualize and disseminate scientific data, and prepare manuscripts and grant applications for submission.
Job accountabilities: Serves as a senior researcher with expertise in field. Plans, designs, and conducts highly technical and complex research projects which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation, independently and in consultation with supervisor. May contribute to the development of new concepts, techniques, and standards. Analyzes research data and provides interpretations. Contributes to the development of research documentation for publication and prepares technical reports, papers, and/or records. Develops solutions to complex research programs. Provides leadership, direction and guidance to staff and/or student workers as needed.
The successful candidate will have the following qualities:
- Training and experience in bioinformatics and the visualization of genomic data obtained through microarray analyses and RNASeq
- Outstanding abilities in written and oral communication, including a record of successful publication in academic publications, are essential to this position
- Experience in website design/maintenance and using content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, or similar)
- Willingness to integrate administrative work, such as coordinating grant submissions, into daily duties. Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Serves as a liaison between CCMB faculty/staff and collaborators at other academic units within USC and elsewhere
- Attends meetings, seminars, symposia and other events related to project efforts. Stays informed of developments in field
- Experience in grant writing, particularly in response to NIH calls for proposals, is strongly preferred
- Experience in biostatistics, statistically informed experimental design and analysis is preferred
- Experience in academic illustration/graphic design using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or similar is preferred
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time
For a detailed list of CCMB operations, please see the CCMB website: http://ccmb.usc.edu
- Minimum: Doctoral degree in bioinformatics, biology or a related field
Applicants should send a cover letter, CV, and sample of academic writing and arrange to have three letters of reference sent to:
Professor: Yang Chai
c/o Ms. Patricia Thompson
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology
Ostrow School of Dentistry
University of Southern California
2250 Alcazar Street, CSA 103
Los Angeles, CA 90033
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.