Associate Director, Immunology
We seek a talented and experienced Associate Director to drive the Immunology discovery research to support advancement of Moderna's mRNA technology platform and pipeline. The successful candidate will lead the immunology discovery efforts to enable mRNA therapeutics in the immune diseases area. The successful candidate will drive the immunology discovery research, design and execute experiments, supervise laboratory personnel, present results internally and externally and manage collaborations. Applicants should be outstanding team members and have extensive experience in project management. Expertise in lymphocyte biology is required. The ability to effectively communicate across internal multi-disciplinary teams and with external partners is required. The candidate will need to manage multiple project in a fast-move and results-oriented environment.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Manage multiple projects in the immunology research involving cross-functional collaboration within therapeutic areas and across departments. Provide scientific expertise, guidance and strategy to successfully bring programs to Go/No Go decisions.
- Lead a team of immunologists to develop, optimize, validate and execute in vitro and in vivo research to enable the use of mRNA to manipulate/reprogram immune cells.
- Ability to manage and supervise scientists to meet project timelines and teach direct reports assay and trouble shooting skills
- Develop and manage relationship with clients. Have good communication skills, especially be capable of communicating effectively to discuss project progress, interpret and present data to clients
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- A Ph.D. degree in immunology with 5-10 years drug discovery experience at pharmaceutical, biotech and at least 2+ years at the principal scientist or Associate Director level or equivalent experience
- Solid background and training in his or her own fields of studies and in conducting research using the latest drug discovery technologies and advances in science
- Solid experience in adaptive and innate immunity
- Strong experience in modeling immune response (ex vivo and in vivo) and in immunological techniques (Flow cytometry, ELISA, Elispot…)
- Managerial capabilities and good knowledge and experience in biologics and track record of making contributions to advance therapeutics from concept to proof-of concept in-vivo onto clinical candidate
- Ability to develop and deliver clear and concise presentations for both internal and external meetings
- Candidate will be curious in exploring new path for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomes
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation, with an additional day added after each year of service (beginning Jan 2019), 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 13 company paid holidays (includes 2 floating holidays)
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.