Director, Financial Planning & Analysis (Clinical Development)
The Director of FP&A (Clinical Development) is a key member of the Financial Planning and Analysis team. Reporting to the Head of FP&A, this position will serve as a business partner to the Clinical Development organization and support a growing portfolio of Development candidates across multiple therapeutic areas. This position will partner with Development functional and program leadership to lead and manage annual operating budgets and forecasts, ad-hoc operational or strategic decision-making support, month-end close and management reporting activities, long-range planning, and portfolio management process for new development candidates.
Here's What You'll Do:
Financial Planning/Decision Analysis:
- Understanding the financial needs and drivers of the Clinical Development organization to provide both operational insights and strategic financial support to drive the business
- Lead annual budgets, forecast updates and assist in long-range financial plans for the clinical development organization and programs
- Partner with Investigational Medicine Office (IMO) to deliver portfolio updates highlighting key operational drivers and financial performance for development programs with Executive Committee
- Serve as primary finance lead for external partnerships/collaborations within Clinical Development; specifically support immuno-oncology financial partnership model and support reporting, invoicing and planning to satisfy collaboration agreement requirements; support planning and reporting for Global Health vaccine initiatives
- Support emerging development candidates (DCs) with business case analysis (e.g. cost to next decision, life of program costs, eNPV valuation) for DC nomination & approval process
- Lead and manage clinical trial models/framework to provide monthly updates on life-to-date positions for ongoing studies, identify/understand major clinical operational drivers updating models as needed, and forecast remaining cash flow through end of study
- Partner with Development leadership to strategize and identify headcount resourcing requirements
- Lead monthly management reporting for development functional and program leadership. Provide key insights that require attention and enable budget owners to manage to establish budgets.
- Prepare ad-hoc monthly / quarterly financial deliverables as needed
Ongoing Operational finance support:
- Partner with accounting team during month-end close with related spend/accruals for Development
- Support annual audit with respect to clinical trial portfolio financials
- Assist with build out/hiring plan for FP&A organization; coach and develop direct report(s)
- Drive continuous improvement within the finance organization to streamline processes and improve communication and flow of information to the business
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BA/BS in accounting or finance required; MBA strongly preferred
- 7+ years of experience in biotech and/or pharma industry with experience supporting a clinical development organization and portfolio of clinical trials.
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details; ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills; highly proficient in Excel based modeling
- Experience with tier 1 ERP systems (e.g. SAP, Oracle) and associated planning and reporting tools preferred.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.