Education & Outreach Scientist- #026459
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), located on the campus of Johns Hopkins University, seeks an Education & Outreach Scientist for our Office of Public Outreach (OPO). This position will primarily support the NASA’s Universe of Learning science education program, as well as public engagement activities for the Hubble Space Telescope and James Webb Space Telescope.
As an Education & Outreach Scientist, you will work with a multi-disciplinary team and scientific discoveries, missions, and people from across NASA Astrophysics. You will contribute your scientific expertise and creativity to products, programs, and experiences for a wide range of audiences. You will act as a liaison between OPO staff, STScI partners, and the science community and serve as a scientific expert in product and program development.
Are you passionate about communicating astronomy and enabling science learning? In this position, you will have the opportunity to work in areas such as: multimedia and immersive experiences, exhibits and displays; STEM experiences for youth and adults; large-scale public events, professional learning experiences, and engagement of audiences traditionally underserved/underrepresented.
Your major responsibilities will include:
- Identifying and leading development of key scientific storylines and messages for education, outreach, and communications resources;
- Incorporating NASA Astrophysics science and missions into creative and scientifically accurate products, programs, events, and professional development;
- Crafting and delivering scientifically accurate presentations and demonstrations of astrophysics science stories at a range of audience levels;
- Leading development and organization of STScI exhibit presence at scientific conferences, working in close collaboration with STScI science community;
- Reviewing and ensuring scientific accuracy of OPO products.
- Ph.D. in Astronomy, Physics, or closely related field is required;
- Two to three years postdoctoral experience;
- Three to five years of related experience in science education or outreach preferred;
- Ability to communicate and effectively work with members of both the science and education/outreach communities;
- Ability to lead and facilitate multi-disciplinary teams and projects involving individuals from different organizations, disciplines, and backgrounds.
STScI offers an excellent compensation package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Are you interested in applying? Submit an on-line application, including resume and cover letter, at http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities. Applications received by February 28, 2019, will receive full consideration.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to build a premier scientific community. We reflect that deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical handicap.
Individuals with disabilities, veterans or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V