Soil Ecologist, Associate/Assistant Professor
MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY, MANKATO invites applications for the position of:
Soil Ecologist, Associate/Assistant Professor (AA20053)
SALARY: Depends on Qualifications
OPENING DATE: 01/10/19
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority consideration will be given to applications received by January 31, 2019.
POSITION: Tenure-Track (Probationary*)
DATE OF APPOINTMENT: August 19, 2019
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in the following areas: Soil Ecology (BIOL 412/512); Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrients (to be developed); Intro to Soil Science (BIOL/GEOL 104; team-taught); General Biology II (BIOL 106, large enrollment course).
- This position will advise undergraduate majors.
- This position will advise graduate majors.
- A typical faculty workload responsibility may include up to twelve (12) credits per semester of instruction.
- The successful candidate may need to teach in other areas as assigned and qualified.
- May be expected to develop and deliver face-to-face, hybrid, and on-line instruction at the Mankato campus, online, and/or at the university's additional locations, as assigned.
- The successful candidate will collaborate with colleagues in curriculum design, instruction and evaluation, conduct research productively and mentor students in research, help create innovative strategies for student recruitment, retention, and completion, and may be expected to develop external grant funding opportunities.
- All faculty members are expected to engage in scholarly or creative activity or research, in continuing preparation and study, in contributing to student growth and development, and in providing service to the university and community (see Article 22 and Appendix G of the IFO Master Agreement).
- Doctorate in a biological science, agronomy or a related field. (Doctorate must be conferred on an official transcript and received in Human Resources by January 8, 2020.)
- A successful research record focused on soil ecology, sustainable agriculture, agronomic systems, fungal-soil interactions, restoration ecology or related field as evidenced by extramural funding, publication in peer-reviewed journals, and/or postdoctoral experience.
- Background or evidence of knowledge in soil biology.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Demonstrated effective written, oral communication and/or presentation skills.
- Experience in one or more of the following: Plant-microbe interactions, agronomic systems, sustainable agriculture, biogeochemical cycling, hydric soils, soil ecology, fungal ecology, restoration ecology.
- Demonstrated ability to teach the courses listed above, along with additional courses depending on the department's needs.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and sustain an active research agenda.
- Evidence of recent scholarly activity, including publications and/or professional presentations.
- Post-doctoral experience.
The Department of Biological Sciences has 800 undergraduate students pursuing BS degrees in Biology, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Biotechnology, and Environmental Sciences and 35 graduate students seeking MS degrees in Biology and Environmental Sciences. The Department currently has over 20 tenure-track faculty. More information on the Biology Department can be found here: cset.mnsu.edu/biology/
Founded as a Normal School in 1868, Minnesota State University, Mankato is a regional comprehensive university with a tradition of combining big-ideas with real-working thinking to find solutions for pressing problems in the state, region, and global society. Mankato, Minnesota, is a community of nearly 53,000 people, about 85 miles southwest of the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Serving ~18,000 students annually, the University is an applied research institution, with >200 academic programs, from bachelor's through doctoral degrees. The University is a diverse and global campus with 18+% students of color and 1,300+ international students from 95 countries, cutting-edge information technology solutions, 3 additional locations, and extensive partnerships. With ~1,700 faculty and staff, the University has an annual budget of $216 million, and generates $781.5 million in economic impact per year. Minnesota State University, Mankato is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities.
Noteworthy facts include: specialized accreditation, certification, or recognition, by more than 24 accrediting bodies; designation as a Non-Land Grant College of Agriculture, by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 2015; selection among the top 10% of American Association of State Colleges & Universities (AASCU) institutions for the Re-imagining the First Year of College (RFY) project; and an Intercollegiate Athletics program that has ranked in the top 5 nationally within the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup standings for 7 of the last 10 years.
We seek to attract teaching and research-active, culturally and academically diverse faculty members, with a demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. Minnesota State University, Mankato, is student-centered and focuses on applied research that expands knowledge; improves learning; and serves the region, state, and nation
Additional information about Minnesota State Mankato can be found at mnsu.edu
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mankato, select the job title, and click the green "Apply" button at the top of the job posting page. A complete online application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three(3) references
- Unofficial Transcript(s) of candidate's relevant graduate degree(s)
- Cover Letter
- A brief (no more than one-page) diversity statement presenting a commitment to or experience working in an equity-minded environment
- A one (1) page statement of your teaching philosophy
- A one (1) page statement of your research/scholarly interests
Dr. Matthew Kaproth, Search Screening Committee Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
242 Trafton Science Center South
TTY: 800-627-3529 or 711
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/bargaining.html.
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MN State's vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available for your review. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the University. The policy statements address the school's policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security. Three years' worth of statistics are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on-campus, or in other University affiliated locations. This report is available online at http://www.mnsu.edu/safety/. You may also request a paper copy from University Security at 507-389-2111, or by emailing email@example.com.
HUMAN RESOURCES IS LOCATED AT:
336 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001
SOIL ECOLOGIST, ASSOCIATE/ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (AA20053)
Minnesota State University, Mankato has a long-standing commitment to diversity and is actively seeking to nurture and enrich its underrepresented communities. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to accept work in the United States. Requests for reasonable accommodation of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Office of Human Resources, 507-389-2015 (V), 800-627-3529 or 711 (MRS/TTY). This Vacancy Notice is available in alternative format upon request. Minnesota State University, Mankato is an affirmative action/equal opportunity University and is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.