Postdoctoral Research Associate - Evolutionary and Environmental Microbiology
The Biosciences Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) has an opening for a microbiologist to investigate horizontal gene transfer in microbial communities. Horizontal gene transfer has the potential to disrupt microbial composition, function, and interactions. Through this research, we aim to improve our ability to predict and manipulate these processes.
In this position, you will use techniques from microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, and synthetic biology to measure, replicate, and apply horizontal gene transfer. You will be expected to collaborate with other labs at ORNL, including through the Plant-Microbe Interfaces project (https://pmiweb.ornl.gov/). You will also design and execute laboratory experiments, analyze quantitative data, write and communicate results to the scientific community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with a diverse team of scientists.
- Interface directly with internal and external partners in various disciplines.
- Present research results at national scientific meetings.
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner.
- Participate in project planning and execution.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Acquire and analyze data in keeping with project scheduling.
- Self-assess experimental research skill set and identify weakness and secure learning resources to address these issues.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements.
A Ph.D. in microbiology, bioengineering, evolutionary biology, molecular biology, or a related field is required. Applicants cannot have received the most recent degree more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment.
- Expertise in microbial genetics and physiology, particularly with diverse non-model microbes
- Familiarity with evolutionary processes in microbes
- Expertise acquiring and analyzing high-throughput sequencing data
- Effective writing and presentation skills demonstrated by a strong publication record from previous research
- Desire to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply.