Post Doctoral Fellow, Chicago Institute for Fetal Health
Post Doc Scientist - Chicago Institute for Fetal Health
General Summary of Position Responsibility
This post-doctoral research position is assigned to the Chicago Institute for Fetal Health (CIFH) at Lurie Children’s Hospital and Northwestern University Medical. The Shaaban laboratory examines the mechanisms of long-term immunologic tolerance to prenatally transplanted stem cells. Because of its immunologic immaturity, the ability to tolerize the early gestational fetus to foreign antigens provides a tremendous advantage over transplantation in children or adults. In a small animal (murine) model we are examining the development of allospecific tolerance in prenatal hematopoietic chimeras. This model permits a systematic analysis of the innate and adaptive immunologic mechanisms leading to self-recognition. We have demonstrated prenatal tolerance to fully allogeneic grafts by the deletion, anergy and regulation of donor-specific T cell clones and are currently studying the mechanisms regulating NK cell tolerance. The long-term goal of this work is to reliably induce and maintain allospecific tolerance by prenatal transplantation in humans thereby eliminating the toxic effects of conditioning regimens for allogeneic cellular transplantation in children.
Essential Job Functions:
- Undertake an independent research project in the area of developmental immunology.
- Analyze data, prepare manuscripts and presentations at local, national and international venues.
- Participate collaboratively in other research projects in the Chicago Institute for Fetal and with colleagues at other institutions.
- Help write grant proposals and progress reports related to research project.
- Participate in regular lab meetings, journal clubs, research seminars and graduate student training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A level of knowledge normally acquired through the completion of a Ph.D. or M.D..
- Possess an excellent command of the English language; medical and scientific terminology is required.
- Organizational skills: Ability to establish priorities and react promptly to a large variety of requests and needs, sometimes in stressful situations
- Highly motivated and committed investigator with the ability to design, execute and interpret experimental results and to work collaboratively with other members of the laboratory to advance projects.
Apply for Post Doctoral Fellow, Chicago Institute for Fetal Health
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly