Coastal or Marine Ecologist
Coastal Ecology Research
The Wetlands and Coastal Ecology Branch of the US Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC), Environmental Laboratory, is seeking early to mid-career marine or coastal ecologists, with a PhD or equivalent experience to execute basic and applied research projects with the Coastal Ecology group. Research areas include: basic understanding of coastal plant, benthic invertebrate, and vertebrate communities; plant physiological responses to ecosystem change; restoration and resilience of coastal ecosystems, including marshes, dunes, beaches and reefs; impacts of climate change on coastal ecosystems; and beneficial use of dredge material. Research is conducted nationally and internationally, with opportunities for collaborations with academia, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and private industry.
Resumes should demonstrate:
- a broad foundation in coastal or marine community ecology with expertise in coastal benthic communities, coastal plant ecology, and/or plant physiological ecology;
- experience applying quantitative approaches to studying coastal systems;
- expertise in statistical approaches to data analysis including spatial analyses and proficiency in working with large datasets;
- strong technical writing skills, including manuscript development ;
- a successful track record of extramural funding through proposal development;
- experience in experimental design, data management and analysis;
- the ability to work effectively in a strong team environment, and with individuals across a wide range of disciplines, experiences, and expertise;
- vision and drive to explore innovative, creative approaches to complex applied research questions.
The ERDC is a premiere research organization composed of seven laboratories, over 2,000 employees, and executes $1B/year for the Department of Defense, US Army Corps of Engineers, and other customers. The Environmental Laboratory is located in picturesque Vicksburg, MS. If interested, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to: Patricia.M.Tolley@usace.army.mil.