MSE Product Development Engineer II
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
This role is responsible for applying knowledge (theoretical and practical) of Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry/Cell Biology/ Biotechnology or Biomedical engineering, to assess the feasibility of new cell culture media, supplements, and reagents. This position will assist in the development and scale-up of new media formulations resulting from R&D projects for new product introduction. Responsible for developing master batch records and related applications to allow the conversion of raw materials to finished good in the production of media formulations. Supports and engages in the transfer of technology and media products in various formats to associated manufacturing sites and networks. Identifies, investigates, and develops solutions to customer issues (internal and external) in media production, and quality using data, risk analysis and experimental design.
- Work with R&D on the primary feasibility assessments of new Cell Culture Media chemical formulations, conduct process development, scale-up and transfer of technologies to cross-functional teams for production. Identify process / product specifications to achieve the highest quality in production. Make detailed observations and conduct statistical analysis of data in support of product and process quality. Advise management teams of factors that may affect quality, accuracy and usefulness of data, and interpret experimental results.
- Design and troubleshoot experiments and execute technology transfer protocols for new product introduction. Identify and solve elementary problems in experimental designs. Contribute ideas and suggestions to improve cell culture media manufacturing processes and techniques to improve, processes and equipment. Engage in Practical Process Improvement teams to sustain a culture of operational excellence, continuous improvement, and productivity.
- Comply with all company safety, quality, and training procedures and regulations. Report all non-compliances, support and engage in teams assigned to making improvements. May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Nature and Scope
Position exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. The candidate must possess and demonstrate the highest attention to detail and planning/scheduling even during parallel work/multitasking assignments. Candidate must be self-directed and driven during both new and complex/challenging workflows and priorities, as well as during routine assignments. Ability to appreciate the significance and contributions of each project toward Company and customer objectives is essential.
Measures of Contribution/Impact
The Manufacturing Sciences Engineer supports the Media Network within the BioProduction and BioSciences Business divisions within the Life Sciences Solutions Group (LSG). This position supports catalog business revenue through new product development/ transfer and the revision of existing products to meet product requirements/ applications.
Possesses the theoretical/ practical fundamental concepts and procedures of designing cell culture media and chemical formulations; continues profession development of technical expertise through experience, training, and application.
• Minimum of 4 years' experience in a regulated manufacturing environment performing engineering, operations, and/or product development functions.
• Lean, Six Sigma experience Green belt or Black belt a plus.
• Experience working with diverse, cross functional teams.
• Requires a bachelor's degree in an engineering or scientific discipline (chemical engineering, biochemistry, chemistry, biology, or related field), or equivalent industry experience with an associate's degree or higher.
• Willingness to travel around 20%
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.