Vice Dean for Student Affairs
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
Vice Dean for Student Affairs
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Graduate School administers all activities concerning students at OIST including academic and registry services, student support and travel, recruiting, student admissions career development, evaluation and improvement of teaching and mentoring, and collaborations in student matters with national and international universities. The Vice Dean for Student Affairs will lead the Graduate School management team in dealing with the full spectrum of student affairs including recruitment, admissions, student progress reviews, examinations, prospectus of courses, academic records, professional skills, career development and graduation. These responsibilities require a high level understanding of graduate education in science, experience and ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with all sections of the university, experience meeting government standards and reporting requirements, and excellent communication skills in dealing with external organizations, as well as OIST faculty and students. The Vice Dean will serve the campus community as appropriate (e.g., on campus committees and task forces). This is a non-faculty full-time administrative position to ensure ongoing and continuing administrative leadership in support of the Dean of the Graduate School.
Vice Dean for Student Affairs
Office of the Dean of the Graduate School
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
The Vice Dean for Student Affairs has responsibility for supporting the Dean of the Graduate School in:
- Maintaining and further developing a postgraduate educational environment that supports the learning and academic progress of an internationally diverse student population to the highest international standards Developing and implementing long- and short-term goals and plans for achieving the Graduate School's mission, including appropriate organizational, resource, financial, and staffing strategies Drafting reports for university committees, governing boards, audits, and reviews by government, including collecting and analyzing relevant data Overseeing and maintaining conditions for an internationally competitive student support package including financial support, support for living and housing, welfare, and effective communication with the student council and student assembly. Improving and maintaining information management concerning student academic and personal records, data concerning student conditions and progress, course descriptions and scheduling, student evaluations of teaching, and records to support admissions and examinations committees Improving and maintain national and international outreach, student recruiting and admissions activities to recruit excellent students Providing ongoing administrative oversight and effective stewardship of all Graduate School resources, initiatives, staff, and activities, including budgets; supervision; and evaluation and improvement of Graduate School effectiveness and outcomes
We are seeking a person with a strong university management and academic background. People with this background have usually risen through the academic ranks to leadership positions in university departments (e.g. as professors or associate professors) before switching to administrative roles as associate deans, deputy heads of department, and other university leadership positions.
- Doctoral degree in science. Established administrative and leadership ability and experience in a research university post especially in relation to postgraduate education. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Experience collaborating with faculty and other campus constituents. Experience working effectively with a diverse student, faculty, and staff population, ability to communicate effectively with people who use English as a second language, and commitment to inclusive teaching practices and gender equality. Demonstrated effectiveness in personnel and budget supervision and management. Experience in organizational development, change and program evaluation.
- Distinguished record in research and teaching. Experience addressing teaching and learning needs of research university faculty members in and across disciplines in science; in all types of teaching environments; for both tenure-track and tenured faculty members. Experience in planning, establishing, sustaining, and improving programs and initiatives to support innovation and excellence in teaching and learning. Japanese language ability.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual Salary: 11.2 million ~ 17.5 million yen (Job class: Associate Vice President, A7)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Inquiries about the Position:
Specific enquiries can be sent to the Dean of the Graduate School (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As early as possible
Application Due Date:
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).
Apply for Vice Dean for Student Affairs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly