Strategic Initiatives Leader
Strategic Initiatives Leader - 83442
Organization: LD-Laboratory Directorate
Bringing Science Solutions to the World
Established in 1931, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent challenges in science, energy and the environment. Known for its scientific excellence and leadership, including 13 associated Nobel Prizes, Berkeley Lab also serves the broader scientific community with five national user facilities (http://www.lbl.gov/programs/national-user-facilities/) used by 10,000 researchers every year.
As Berkeley Lab’s Strategic Initiatives Leader, you will report to the Laboratory Director and work with scientific leadership to advance enterprise-wide strategic initiatives in energy and science. You will help to identify emerging opportunities that are suited to the laboratory’s specific scientific expertise and technology strengths, and facilitate planning and cross-area collaboration to respond to those opportunities. You will also serve as an expert and a resource for the Berkeley Lab Scientific Areas and their Division Directors. You will use your scientific expertise, along with knowledge of DOE National Laboratories and other external research organizations, to understand the competitive landscape and opportunities for collaboration. In this critical position, you will develop a deep understanding of the needs of the Laboratory’s key stakeholders, including those in government, industry, and the philanthropic sectors.
• Work with scientific leadership to identify and prioritize emerging opportunities for new scientific activities or programs.
• Create execution plans for strategic initiatives that include forming scientific and management teams, including external partnerships, and identifying key points for decision making and communication.
• Convene, organize and lead discussions about the laboratory’s strategic initiatives
• Represent the laboratory in meetings and discussions with peer institutions and other external constituencies.
• Work with leaders across the laboratory to coordinate, align, and communicate priorities, goals, and objectives.
• Build on existing domain expertise in science to develop broad understanding of Berkeley Lab’s unique strengths and capabilities, as well as existing partnerships.
• PhD (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in a scientific field.
• Demonstrated experience building strategic initiatives from the conceptual stage through planning and execution.
• Broad knowledge of the federal research enterprise, as well as the economic and global trends, in areas relevant to Berkeley Lab.
• Demonstrated ability to quickly gain knowledge of a broad set of research activities and work with diverse constituencies.
• Exceptional skills in assessing, summarizing and presenting scientific strategic initiatives and decision-points for effective, timely and efficient management decision-making.
• Experience working with executive leaders, senior managers, and stakeholders in the identification and development of major scientific initiatives of strategic importance.
• Demonstrated success in engaging and building relationships with sponsors and collaborators, as well as a broad array of internal and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to influence others.
• Prior experience in the development of multi-institutional frameworks and networks for scientific collaborative projects.
• Ability to gather and synthesize complicated subject matter into a coherent vision.
• Excellent and effective verbal and written communications, including public presentation experience and demonstrated success in writing proposals or position papers.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Prior experience in the management of others.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on May 1, 2017.
• The Strategic Initiatives Leader is a full time career position that is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Laboratory Director. This appointment is at will and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=94947 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".