Business Development Manager - Industrial Biosciences (013143W-01)
We are seeking a Business Development Manager to join our Industrial Biosciences Team at our Palo Alto, California, Research and Development facility. The successful candidate will possess a keen business sense and demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships through understanding the customer’s business, technical needs and challenges. Through collaborative internal connections with our business, applications, R&D, marketing and sales organizations, the Business Development Manager will be responsible for:
- Developing new business opportunities on a global scale, partnering with business leaders to assess opportunities and manage the customer interface and pipeline opportunities.
- Collect market feedback from competitive observations, customer product expectations and provide recommendations to key internal stakeholders within the business and R&D organization
- Develop and maintain ongoing assessment of potential customer interactions and trends in the market/industry
- Collaborate with business leaders and our technology team to define and buy/sell technology based positions.
- Create cash/asset value from the development of licensing, divestment and asset creation activities
- Represent the organization at major industry global marketing and media events
- Close new business opportunities by coordinating requirements, developing and negotiating contracts, and integrating contact requirements with business operations
- Develop and cultivate industry relationships, external networks and advocacy efforts supporting the strategic direction of the business.
- Develop a strong technical understanding of the customer’s unmet needs, matching this with our technical capabilities and assessing the economic aspects of the opportunities
- Support business leaders to identify strategic areas for growth
Skills and Experience:
- MBA or equivalent experience (good financial / business insight) engineering/technical/science degree or PhD.
- Minimum 8 years’ previous experience in business development in the industrial biotechnology industry.
- Previous experience in the biotech industry is preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Demonstration of strong team and collaborative skills
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work comfortably and influence all levels of an organization – highly collaborative in approach with others
- Personal attributes: talent for networking, good communications skills, driven, passionate, curious, ability to deal with uncertainty.
- Extensive travel is required
- Possesses a strong business and financial acumen
- Exceptional interpersonal and relating skills with demonstrated ability to interface with business leaders at all levels
- Demonstrated negotiating skills
- Analytical and strategic thinking
- International experience is a plus
A leading global science company, DuPont applies its technology and expertise to find sustainable, innovative, and market driven solutions to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges. With nearly 400 distinct commercial products and 2,500 employees worldwide, DuPont Industrial Biosciences (IB) is central to the Company’s strategic priorities. Produced at multiple operating sites around the world, DuPont Industrial Bioscience division’s Bioactives, Biomaterials, Advanced Biofuels and Clean Technologies, business segments address markets such as animal nutrition, food, detergents, textiles, personal care, biofuels, clean air, clean fuel and clean water. Our industry-leading enzymes deliver enhanced value in a wide range of industries. After creating the first biomaterials with Bio-Propanediol (Bio-PDO®) and Sorona®, and with more than 30 years of success in enzymes and bioproducts, the business is now taking another step forward with cellulosic ethanol technology. In December 2015, DuPont and Dow Chemical Company announced their merger agreement. With the closing of this synergistic transaction, it is the intention of both companies to separate into three independent, publicly-traded companies that each would be a strong, focused business with powerful innovation capabilities, enhanced global scale and product portfolios, focused capital allocation, and a distinct competitive position. DuPont Industrial Biosciences business would become part of a new Specialty Products