Senior Data Engineer
Job Category: Research and Early Development
Work Location: San Diego, CA
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Standard
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene seeks a talented, results and achievement oriented individual to contribute to our informatics and data management initiatives in Research and Early Development (R&ED). This hands-on role interfaces with programs spanning both discovery and translational sciences where processing and interpreting multi-platform and multi-dimensional ‘omic’ data in pre-clinical and clinical settings is being employed to identify molecular drug targets, characterize MOA, prioritize clinical indications and generate patient selection hypotheses. We are seeking an individual with extensive experience managing, processing, and applying quality control metrics and processes to a wide range of data types in support of R&ED clinical trials and drug development experiments while working in close collaboration with basic research, translational and computational scientists.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, enhance, and automate processes for queuing and prioritizing data management and curation requests
- Implement a quality control (QC) process to evaluate compliance with data models and taxonomies to ensure cohesion of curated data across time as data models and configurations evolve
- Create a rapid means to remediate data that fail to meet curation specifications
- Empower scientists with tools, processes and data structures needed to support project objectives
- Ensure accurate, complete and timely collection, delivery and tracking of analytical information from translational, CRO or collaborating laboratories for curation, ingestion and delivery to computational scientists
- Help define, deliver and implement R/ED, collaborator and partner laboratory analytical data management systems, processes and procedures
- Work with R/ED study teams to develop R/ED information management plans that outline data capture, data flow, data queries, manual checks, and data listings needed to ensure data integrity
- Participate in comprehensive data review activities in coordination with project and study teams
- Work with computational biologists, computational scientists, biostatisticians and study scientists to resolve data quality issues
- Make data, including raw/interim data, available to R/ED department personnel as required
- Collaborate with users to enable data access and ingestion
- Acquire user feedback to inform business requirements for future development.
- PhD in a related discipline with at least 6 years of experience; Master’s degree with 12 years of experience; or Bachelor’s degree 14 years experience in biomedical data management, data engineering, quality assurance, assay development, specimen data management or related discipline
- Demonstrated proficiency with molecular biology concepts; and ability to support, develop and deploy laboratory and other research data management processes and procedures as they apply to complex, high dimensional data sets
- Demonstrated ability to understand and translate high-level scientific datasets and results into data curation and management strategies and the underlying structures, curation processes and infrastructure required.
- Strong understanding of LIMS systems and systematic, relational approaches to data integration and data processing workflows
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Excellent skills in R programming and experience in additional computer languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, S-PLUS or Java (or C/C++)
- Extensive practical experience in working with diverse but highly-connected scientific knowledge collections and their query interfaces to enable research hypotheses around compound targets, mechanisms of action, and patient response
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with clinical personnel, study monitors, computational biologists, biostatisticians, programmers, and medical writers
- Knowledge of FDA/ICH guidelines and industry standard practices regarding data management are helpful but not required
- Detailed knowledge and experience in case report form design, central laboratories, programming databases, query resolution, data validation
- Computer skills: detailed knowledge of at least one data management system (Oracle Clinical or Clintrial preferred), experience with SAS data sets and conversion procedures required; knowledge of MS Office program suite required
- Knowledge of distributed database design and implementation, LAMP/ MySQL, etc. with capability to perform/direct/assess implementation of such databases
- Working knowledge of both Windows and Linux operating systems is required
- Along with programming proficiency must have creativity, and show a strong capacity for independent thinking and the ability to grasp underlying biological questions
- Must thrive in a complex, dynamic environment while adapting to dynamically changing priorities
- Must have excellent time management and organizational skills
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.