Research Scientist, Computational Biology and Epigenetics
Title: Research Scientist, Computational Biology and Epigenetics
Manager: Principal Scientist, Research Analytics (RIKU)
Location: CITRE, Seville, Spain
Contract: Fixed-term, 2 year duration, full-time
Research Scientist, Computational Biology and Epigenetics
We seek a talented computational scientist to specialize in analysis and interpretation of high-throughput epigenomic data to elucidate key aspects of therapeutic action. The insight gained will contribute directly to identification and development of novel therapies for complex diseases of unmet medical need.
The successful candidate will work closely with Celgene’s global research analytics and epigenetic biology teams to advance our research and development of novel therapeutic agents related to epigenetic mechanisms. The role will involve participation in the analysis and interpretation of experiments that capitalize on cancer therapeutic opportunities in epigenetics.
A key area of research focus will be the integration of multiple genomic data types to produce a robust understanding of disease state or phenotype. In the context of therapeutic discovery, these efforts will yield novel high-confidence drug targets, and in the context of translational research, objectives include understanding mechanisms of response to our emerging therapeutics.
Research Analytics activities at CITRE focus on application of contemporary computational analysis methods to improve therapeutic outcomes for Celgene patient populations across a range of diseases. This position would involve considerable inter-disciplinary collaboration with colleagues across Celgene Research and academic collaborators.
The successful candidate for this role will work closely with Research Analytics team members to define and execute projects, and to communicate discoveries to biology and clinical research teams.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform computational biology analysis for exploration and interpretation of high-throughput data including NGS and MS proteomics assays;
- Develop and implement state-of-the-art approaches for biological pathway and network analysis to elucidate the perturbation of cellular mechanisms;
- Engage in development of methods and platforms for integration of heterogeneous biological data towards answering broader scientific questions;
- Participate in the presentation and reporting of methods, results and conclusions to a publishable standard; and
- Participate in wider group endeavors concerning the elucidation of compound mechanisms of action, drug resistance and prediction of target indications.
- PhD in computational biology / bioinformatics, statistics, computer science or related fields, with a firm grasp of genomics and/or genetics, from a recognized higher-education establishment;
- Post-doctoral research experience (2+ years) preferred in analysis, integration and interpretation of epigenomic and other high-throughput data (e.g. Histone & TF ChIP, DNA methylation, chromatin accessibility, proteomics and expression data);
- Publication record in analysis of next-generation sequencing data: familiarity with publicly-available sequence alignment pipelines, SNV calling algorithms, common NGS manipulation tools and standardized NGS data formats (e.g. SAM/BAM, VCF);
- Demonstrable competence in statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. Unix/Linux, Perl, Python, and R/Matlab/SAS, plus good knowledge of contemporary database structures;
- Familiarity with protein interaction/regulatory network collections and network/pathway based analysis methods to distil rational biological interpretation and functional insight from biological data;
- Ability to collaborate well and communicate the output of computational research in the context of multi-disciplinary scientific teams;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Proficiency in Spanish language would be advantageous
Multinational biopharmaceutical company Celgene, world leader in developing new treatments for cancer and inflammatory diseases, has established the Celgene Institute for Translational Research Europe (CITRE®) in Seville, Spain. CITRE is the company’s first dedicated R&D site outside the USA and provides a bridge between Celgene R&D and the European research community.
CITRE was founded in 2010, and laboratory research activities began in June 2011. The Institute now houses a team of highly qualified scientific research and administrative staff drawn from Spain and other European member states. The Institute is located in the Cartuja ‘93 Science and Technology Park and its activities focus on Translational Research into new treatments for cancer and other rare and complex diseases.
Scientific activities at CITRE comprise three main departments: The Human Diseased Tissue Laboratory (HDTL), the Computational Biology research group, and the Clinical Trials Unit. Onsite facilities include extensive cell culture, flow cytometry, microscopy, genomics, immunohistochemistry, and state-of-the-art computational analysis infrastructure for biomarker discovery and patient stratification.
The three groups are inter-linked by the CITRE tissue Biobank, which receives patient tissue samples, obtained from multi-centre Celgene trials managed by the CITRE Clinical Trials Unit in Spain and across Europe, to provide the basis for inter-disciplinary research into biomarker detection, patient selection criteria, and compound mechanisms of action.
Together, these components form a Translational Research centre which coordinates and conducts Celgene medical research in Europe, and enables rapid and effective transfer of new developments and discoveries at Celgene to EU patients. Furthermore, CITRE provides a focal point in Europe for collaborative translational research into cancer and inflammatory diseases, with a mission to rapidly deliver new Celgene compounds to the clinic.
Those interested in the position described should submit full CV and cover letter addressed to:
Silvia Banús (email@example.com)
Paseo de Recoletos 39, 4º
Apply for Research Scientist, Computational Biology and Epigenetics
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly