Operations Support Technician for Macromolecular Crystallography Group
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility providing X-rays approximately 30 to 35 weeks per year for UK and international user experiments. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
The macromolecular crystallography group at Diamond comprises 7 beamlines dedicated to life science studies, from high throughput highly automated facilities through to world first, technically challenging macromolecular crystallography beamlines. Significant advances in automation have been made which drive a demanding and diverse user programme and which require further developments and support to fully exploit.
Diamond is looking to recruit an Operations Support Technician to join the Life Science Division. The position will provide general assistance for our scientific user programme organising the receipt, registration, storage and distribution of samples delivered to Diamond on a daily basis and maintaining the storage facilities and tools associated with this. A majority of the samples received are at cryogenic temperatures. The successful applicant will have good IT (Word, Excel, etc) and administration skills. During periods where the facility is providing experimental access to users there is an expectation that the post holder will provide basic support to users in the early evening (17:00 – 19:00).
This post provides an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic person to contribute to the continued success of a world-leading scientific facility.
To handle logistics of receiving and returning user samples delivered to Diamond for the MX village to ensure efficient use of the beamlines. Oversee maintenance of associated tools and equipment and provide basic support to users starting at 17:00/18:00.
Full time/3 year Fixed Term Contract
To support the MX Village in the following areas:
- Provide basic support to facility users between the hours of 17:00 – 19:00;
- Ensure delivered samples are collected from stores, registered and stored;
- Ensure correct storage – e.g. temperature control, liquid nitrogen as appropriate;
- Prepare, to a schedule, cryogenic and non-cryogenic samples for delivery to on-site scientific facilities;
- Maintain accurate computerised records for inter and intra logistics and sample tracking;
- Assist with housekeeping tasks, maintaining the storage area, handling tools and sample transport containers;
- Relocate parcels/deliveries to storage compounds/locations;
- Assist with packaging items/goods for dispatch;
- Plus general admin duties.
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 26 March 2017.
We are committed to equality of opportunities for all and our employees come from many countries, cultures and backgrounds.