Project Director (Precision Medicine Initiative)
We seek a highly motivated, creative and bright scientist with expertise in management of multi-center epidemiology and/or genetic research projects to lead the All of Us Precision Medicine Initiative (All of Us PMI) Cohort program for the Boston Veteran Healthcare System (VA). Through the support from the National Institute of Health, the All of Us PMI Cohort Program was initiated to build a cohort of more than 1 million US volunteers to engage in longitudinal, long-term effort to transform understanding of factors contributing to individual health and disease. The VA has been selected to participate in the All of Us PMI Cohort as a Health Provider Organization to enroll at least 150,000 volunteers into the All of Us PMI Cohort from up to 50 VA sites nationwide. This effort represents a partnership with the ongoing VA Million Veteran Program (MVP).
The Project Director will lead a multidisciplinary team of recruiters, data managers and scientists and provide oversight of the VA All of Us PMI research activities and recommend direction to the VA All of Us PMI team. The Project Director will help represent VA in interactions with the National Institutes of Health (HIH), federal regulatory agencies and VA hospitals located throughout the United States as well as other partners. The Project Director will receive direction from the two Co-Principal Investigators of the VA All of Us PMI program. The Project Director will lead a team to plan, execute, and finalize the VA All of US Cohort according to strict deadlines and within budget. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Director writes project proposals, manages day-to-day operational aspects of the project, creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements, effectively applies methodology, presents project findings at conferences and national All of Us meetings, and prepares manuscripts for publication.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: This position reports to the Boston VA Co-Principal Investigator
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises a Recruiter Team, Data Manager Team and research coordinators / research assistants
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As part of the daily management of the assigned project, the Project Director/Co-Principle Investigator will routinely perform the following duties:
- Ensures project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriate
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents for national VA sites, VA as whole, veterans organizations, and other relevant stakeholders
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary
- Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments if necessary during project cycle
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools
- Track project milestones and deliverables, including development of tracking tools with the data team and reviewing and modifying tracking reports as needed
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, and presentations
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas
- Actively perform data analysis and held lead research activities on the VA All of Us Cohort in collaboration with the MVP
- Calculating VA site reports for quality improvement purposes, assisting VA facilities to understand the reports, and performing case-finding if required by facilities.
- Actively perform research activities (i.e., analyzing data and preparing manuscript) on other MVP projects, e.g., exploring rates of quality indicator in and outside the VA.
- Supervise research activities (i.e., analyzing data and preparing manuscripts) on VA HSR&D project “Validating and Classifying VA Readmissions for Quality Assessment and Improvement”. Specifically, coach, mentor, motivate and supervise data analyst, research assistant and other project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle
- Build, develop, and grow any network vital to the success of the project
- Conduct project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management
- Where required, present project findings to VA and/or outside audience at conferences
- Where required, prepare manuscripts for publications
QUALIFICATIONS AND ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- The successful candidate for the position will have
- A doctoral degree in the field of health science or related discipline
- Direct work experience in a project management
- Strong familiarity with research methodology and data analysis
- Technically competent with data analysis software
- Experience in conference presentations and journal publications is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- Flexible during times of change
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines and backgrounds
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments
- Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity
- Strong written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- A generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and life insurances, commuter benefits, FSA, and a retirement plan with matching after a year.
- A unique environment with fun, outgoing, and intelligent co-workers.
- The ability to contribute to making a difference in the lives of veterans.
- A culture where your professional growth is as important as ours.
- Lots of laughter.