Faculty Positions in Medical Research - PUC Chile
FACULTY POSITION CALL
INSTITUTE FOR BIOLOGICAL AND MEDICAL ENGINEERING
The Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering of the Schools of Engineering, Medicine and Biological Sciences of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile invite applications for two tenure track full-time faculty positions in medical research. The candidates will join the active and enthusiastic faculty of the Institute, which was recently established to research and teach in the areas of Biomedical Imaging and Modelling, Bioinformatics, Systems Biology, Synthetic Biology, Biotechnology, Biomechanics and Biomaterials (see iibm.uc.cl).
Duties: The candidates should create a strong independent and interdisciplinary research program that should link Science and Technology with the clinical practice. The candidates will also have half an appointment in one of the departments of the School of Medicine through which they should practice as clinicians. The area of research is left open, but preference will be given to the highest potential to generate a fruitful interaction with the rest of the Institute’s faculty members and to the clinical needs. The duties also include teaching (at undergraduate and graduate levels), outreach and carrying out administrative tasks.
Requirements: M.D. with specialty or M.D. with Ph.D. Applicants should be proactive on pursuing independent research lines, able to work collaboratively, and show evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration. Candidates do not need to speak Spanish at the time of applying, but should be prepared to learn the language well enough to begin teaching in Spanish in the short term.
Applicants must demonstrate potential for excellence and a strong vocation for all aspects of academic life, be highly motivated to continuously improve their teaching skills, have a genuine interest in getting involved with our graduate programs (specially the doctoral program) and be able to develop and maintain an active research agenda. The position also includes the need to create new undergraduate and graduate courses and to support teaching of traditional courses in related areas.
Candidates should submit the following documents to BMEfacultypositions@uc.cl (with the subject “Application”) by March 5th, 2017. Late applications may be considered until the positions are filled. Candidates to previous calls, please see note A.
- Research statement (in English) indicating immediate and long term goals for your research plan. Detail potential collaboration networks with other researchers and plans for interactions with scientists in Chile and other countries.
- Teaching statement of purpose (in English) indicating why you should be considered for the position and your plans for teaching. Be as specific as possible, e.g. giving examples of how you aim to transfer your knowledge to undergraduate and graduate students.
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae in English – see note B.
- Copies of your five most important ISI publications highlighting their contribution to science and engineering. Include a full list of articles you consider relevant in the context of your application.
- In addition, candidates should arrange for three letters of recommendation to be emailed directly by the signatories to BMEfacultypositions@uc.cl.
This position is available immediately. Please include in your application the date in which you will be available.
Once the complete set of application materials has been received, the applicant will be contacted within two months and informed whether or not his/her application has been accepted for further consideration. If this initial screening is successful, the candidate will be asked to give a lecture on his/her current research topics and hold interviews with the Director of the Institute, the Deans and members of the Selection Committee.
Further information may be obtained by emailing the Director of the Institute, Dr. Pablo Irarrazaval (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Note A: Candidates who had participated in a previous call must inform the Selection Committee, through BMEfacultypositions@uc.cl, their intention to participate in this call. The applicant will have the option to update the documentation, or may be requested to do so.
Note B: The CV must be organized along the following lines:
- Personal background: name, address, contact telephone (with country and city codes), e-mail address, web page (if any)
- Education: list of all degrees or professional titles obtained with granting institutions and dates.
- Educational experience (university or institution, courses taught, years).
- Professional experience (company, tasks, years)
a. List of ISI journal publications. Please avoid including other publications, such as non ISI journals, conference presentations and the like shown in 5.b. To see whether a journal is included in the Information Sciences Institute (ISI) catalogue, visit the following web site: http://www.isinet.com/cgi-bin/jrnlst/jloptions.cgi?PC=master.
b. List of other publications such as non ISI Journals, reports, books or book chapters, attended conferences, research projects participated in, patents, etc.
c. Other: prizes and awards, computing abilities, languages, other background information that you consider relevant.