Senior researcher in Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases
Research position at El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (The College of the Southern Border), Tapachula, Chiapas, Mexico.
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (ECOSUR) is an interdisciplinary public research and higher education centre, part of the National Councfil of Science and Technology, that is focused on the development and vinculation of southern Mexico. Its programmes aim to the production of scientific knowledge, human resource formation and the design of technologies and strategies to contribute to sustainable development. ECOSUR's main research areas are: - Biodiversity Conservation; Health; Agriculture, Society and Environment; Society and Culture; Systematics and Aquatic Ecology, Sustainability Sciences, ECOSUR has five campuses located in the cities of: Campeche (State of Campeche), Chetumal (State of Quintana Roo), Tapachula (State of Chiapas), Villahermosa (State of Tabasco) and San Cristobal de Las Casas (State of Chiapas).
- No age or nationality restrictions.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree (DSc, PhD or DrPH) in a discipline related to Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases with emphasis on vector-borne diseases (arbovirus, viral encephalitis, hemorrhagic fevers, and other) or Virology or Molecular Epidemiology, or other related biomedical and health disciplines.
- This competition is open for researchers at least 6 years of post-PhD research experience.
Requirements: The following are essential for the application
- Member of the National Mexican Researchers System or meeting the requirements to enter: recent and continuous publication of research in JCR papers and/or patents and technological developments in the previous three years. Potential to lead an independent research program, having obtained funds for at least two research projects.
- Spanish language, or with aptitudes to learn to work and teach in a Spanish speaking environment.
- Refereed scientific production published (at least 16 scientific publications refereed) or its equivalent in patents and technological developments. At least 2 articles published in journals indexed by ISI or CONACYT, and other refereed publications (articles and / or books or book chapters) in prestigious publishers.
- Experience on training human resources for research through teaching and directing at least two master's or doctoral thesis
For those applicants with a technological profile:
- Contribution to innovation in the generation of a new product design, process, service, method or organization or add value to existing ones.
- Experience in handling or application of laboratory techniques in molecular biology (PCR , RT- PCR , Western Blot, etc.), genetics, cell cultures, immunoassays (ELISA , hemagglutination, etc. ), microbiology (viral isolation). Experience desirable (at least) in two level biosafety laboratory (BSL -2).
• Experience and / or ability to perform outbreaks studies and analyzes.
- Conduct scientific research on epidemiology, pathogenesis and immune response, infectious diseases with emphasis on emerging vector (arboviruses, viral encephalitis, hemorrhagic fevers and others) transmitted; and also on control methods of these diseases.
- Raise funds to finance for research, innovation and development.
- Plan, develop and implement research projects that address the problems of the state of Chiapas and the southern border region of influence of ECOSUR, and Mid-term Institutional Strategic Programme.
- Publish the results in refereed scientific indexed high impact journals. .
- Plan, develop and implement research projects that address the problems of the state of Chiapas and the southern border region of influence of ECOSUR, and the Mid-term Institutional Strategic Programme.
- Publish your research findings in refereed high impact indexed scientific journals.
- Coordinate the personnel and manage the material and financial resources under your responsibility.
- Participate actively in teaching activities through direction and counseling master's and / or doctorate's thesis.
- Ensure a close link with the various sectors of the society, so that the research results respond efficiently to the needs and social demands.
- Comply with the obligations under the Institutional Statute of the Academic Staff.
To apply, submit (link below) a completed application, including:
- Resume/CV (Digital copy of PhD or Doctoral certificate and more relevant publications)
- Work plan containing a research proposal in your area, considering the research profile established in this call. It is desirable that this proposal consider a multidisciplinary perspective in relation to the Health Department, and also outlining a long-term research horizon. The document should be five pages (double-spaced , font size 11, references aside).
- Cover letter where it exhibits: (1) motives for entering ECOSUR, (2) research topics that proposes to develop, (3) interest in teaching at graduate level and building local capacity, (4) working lines to link with social and / or health sector to be develop (5) current labor situation, spanish language skills, and available date to be contracted.
Employer: El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (ECOSUR)
Location: Tapachula, Chiapas, Mexico.
Deadline: Applications must be received by September 1st, 2016
Discipline: Life and Health Sciences, Immunology, Microbiology, Virology
Job Type: Senior Research