Assistant Professor Biochemistry
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Department of Biochemistry seeks a bioinformatics expert, with significant experience of proteomics data analysis and software development, to work in the Proteomics Core and Mirzaei laboratory at UT Southwestern. You will develop and maintain cutting-edge platforms for proteomics data analysis, oversee analysis of data generated in the core, and work closely with the laboratory and collaborators. You must be able to carry-out research into complex computational proteomics problems and contribute to funding applications. Academic rank will be awarded commensurate with experience.
The core and laboratory benefit from significant funding, resulting in a well-equipped mass-spectrometry facility. As well as locally hosted computing facilities the core has access to Top500 supercomputing clusters at the University of Texas, Austin. UT Southwestern is seeking to establish a department of Bioinformatics, promoting computational research and collaboration on campus.
Experience & Education
A Ph.D. in computer science, bioinformatics, or related field is required. Candidates with a biological background must have significant computational experience. 3 years postdoctoral experience is desired. A strong publication record is required.
- Familiar with common proteomics software (Mascot, MaxQuant, Proteome Discoverer).
- Thorough understanding of identification and quantitation methods in proteomics.
- Significant programming experience (Perl & Java preferred).
- Web application & database development (MySQL essential).
- Linux and Windows system administration.
- Proteomics software - ISB Trans-Proteomic Pipeline, Skyline.
- Computing – Amazon Web Services cloud, HPC software development.
- Statistics – experimental design, analysis of large quantitative datasets, proficient in R.
Applications should be submitted online and must include a cover letter, full curriculum vitae, and statement of research interests. Three letters of reference should also be emailed directly to Prof. Mirzaei at email@example.com.
UT Southwestern Medical Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.